Friday, November 15, 2013

12K x 12K and CW-X Capri

My marathon training plan has me running 14 this week for my long run. The forecast for Sunday, when I would normally go long, is windy and thunderstorms. Not conducive to a happy long run. Some running injuries just happen. Some are avoidable. Lightening strike being one of them. Saturday's forecast is windy and rain. That I can deal with. To hedge my bets, and ensure that I get in the miles (in the wind and rain), I've signed up for an inaugural 12K, The Hustle for Hydrops. It benefits research for hydrops fetalis which is a condition where fluid builds up in 2 or more critical areas in a baby in utero and it is generally fatal. I also have my super-fast high school son running the race, although not with me because he is, um, super-FAST.

In order to get my mileage in for the long run, I basically need to run this 2x. I've been struggling with the order in which I accomplish this. Ideally I would run 7 on my own before the official race and then use the excitement of the race and the ease of water stations to finish the second half. But I don't know that I can time this out just right, without a huge wait, before the race begins. I've resigned myself to doing the race first and then after I cross the finish and grab some water, I'll grab my Sole Mister and he'll finish the 2nd seven with me.

CW-X compression tights and capris. I'm sure most people are aware of them, between seeing them in running stores, magazines and on folks trotting past. I bought a pair of capris a few months back, but didn't start wearing them until 2 weeks ago (it needs to get pretty cold before I give up on shorts). I don't think I love them. I'm not even sure that I like them so much. Problem: I'm petite. Short. Vertically challenged. Call it what you will. These capris do not seem to be "short-friendly". They feel great when I first put them on and hitch everything into place, lining up the knee area as directed. But less than a half mile into my run, everything has shifted and my legs feel uncomfortable. I really want to like these, but I think petite sizing would make a huge difference. I've read a couple of reviews on line (after the purchase, oh well) by other runners close to the ground like me and the experiences are similar. I may try using these post-run on long run days for recovery? Seems a shame to just stick them in a drawer.....


*Above picture not me/mine. Sourced from Google images. But I do have those exact rainbow capris.

No comments:

Post a Comment