Friday, December 13, 2013

It's Warm Today!

Sunday's long run was quite the chiller! I ran 17 miles, basically from Junction City down the Kellar Branch/Rock Island Trail to Hicks Hollow Road where I turned around and stopped at Fox Road, where my husband had met up with me to log in a 10 miler. Not entirely sure what the temp was, but the wind chills, especially past Dunlap were brutal. The water in my Nathan bottles turned to slush (which doesn't bode well for my longer long runs the next couple of weekends) and the caps froze shut.
 
We had even colder temps throughout the week so I worked on tackling my dislike of the treadmill. I even justified running on the tread as getting reacclimated to being hot while running in preparation for the Disney Marathon in a month.
 
But today was just beautiful! The house thermometer said it was 28 when I headed out, with almost no wind! I needed to get in 5 so I decided to do the Forest Park Nature Center loop, which is 6 but the steepness of some of the hills means that it wasn't a full 6 of running. Not too much snow on the trails, with plenty of leaves still uncovered so traction wasn't much of an issue (which was good since I was running in my Newton Gravity's which have ZERO traction on snow). 


Just left Tower Park in the Heights, heading down Grandview Drive towards the trailhead.


Standing at Grandview Drive, looking down at the trail and, in the distance, the Illinois River.
 
 
At the top/beginning of the Pimiteoui Trail off of Grandview Drive, heading towards the Forest Park Nature Center.
 
 
 
Bottom of the Pimiteoui Trail.
 
Heading up!


Topping out in a small meadow. This is a great place for deer. Nearly ran into a large buck a few weeks ago!
 
Lower Deer Run Trail

LOVE THIS!!
 
End of the trail, arriving at the bottom of my road. Less than a mile home from here.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment